Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Institute of Nuclear Engineering and Science
Welcome to Institute of Nuclear Engineering and Science
History
  The Institute of Nuclear Science was the only institute when National Tsing Hua University (NTHU) was relocated to Hsinchu in northern Taiwan in 1956. In 1964, the Department of Nuclear Engineering began to recruit students. Due to the transition of the space-time environment, nuclear energy declined around the world between 1980 and 2000, and the domestic market of nuclear power was also undergoing a period of recession. Considering the influence of a department's name on the students, the name of the Department was changed to the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics in 1995 and then changed again to the Department of Engineering and System Science in 1997. At that time, all of the faculty members in the Department agreed that regardless of name changes, the fundamental goal of training professional nuclear engineers and scientists would never change. When the proper opportunity arises, we will aggressively resume recruiting students in order to cultivate more professional nuclear engineers.

  Due to recent changes in the supply and demand of global energy sources, oil and gasoline prices have been rising rapidly. Furthermore, every country in the world is facing increasing pressure to reduce their carbon dioxide emissions under the Kyoto Protocol. In light of this, nuclear power is playing a more important role and most likely will continue to until renewable energy sources become more economical and widely available.

  In 2007, the Institute of Nuclear Engineering and Science was re-established in order to undertake the goal of teaching the new generation of students to become professional nuclear engineers and scientists. The Institute currently has 25 full-time faculty members. The Institute has been offering master and doctoral programs since 2007 and 2008, respectively. Currently, there are 45 and 37 students pursuing their master and doctoral degree, respectively, in the Institute.

Time Scale

1956 NTHU re-established in Hsinchu, Taiwan, Institute of Nuclear Science.
1961 First Critical of Tsing Hua Open-Pool Reactor
1964 The undergraduate program of the Department of Nuclear Engineering was established.
1968 Establishing the training class of nuclear power engineers for Taiwan Power Company.
1970 The Master program in Nuclear Engineering was established.
1973 The College of Nuclear Science was established.
1981 The Doctoral program in Nuclear Engineering was established.
1981 The undergraduate program of the Department of Nuclear Engineering was expanded to two classes.
1995 Changed name to the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics.
1997 Changed name to the Department of Engineering and System Science.
2007 The Master program of theInstitute of Nuclear Engineering and Science was established. (Enroll students in Sept. 2007)
2008 The Doctoral program of the Institute of Nuclear Engineering and Science has also been approved by Taiwan’s Ministry of Education. Will enroll students in Sept. 2008.